Benefits of Fault Tolerance
- Continuous Availablity with Zero downtime and Zero data loss
- NO TCP connections loss during failover
- Fault Tolerance is completely transparent to Guest OS.
- FT doesn’t depend on Guest OS and application
- Instantaneous Failover from Primary VM to Secondary VM in case of ESXi host failure
What’s New in vSphere 6.0 Fault Tolerance
- FT support upto 4 vCPUs and 64 GB RAM
- Fast Check-Pointing, a new Scalable technology is introduced to keep primary and secondary in Sync by replacing “Record-Replay”
- vSphere 6.0, Supports vMotion of both Primary and Secondary Virtual Machine
- With vSphere 6.0, You will be able to backup your virtual machines. FT supports for vStorage APIs for Data Protection (VADP) and it also supports all leading VADP solutions in Market like symantec, EMC, HP ,etc.
- With vSphere 6.0, FT Supports all Virtual Disk Type like EZT, Thick or Thin Provisioned disks. It supports only Eager Zeroed Thick with vSphere 5.5 and earlier versions
- Snapshot of FT configured Virtual Machines are supported with vSphere 6.0
- New version of FT keeps the Separate copies of VM files like .VMX, .VMDk files to protect primary VM from both Host and Storage failures. You are allowed to keep both Primary and Secondary VM files on different datastore.