Veeam Backup for AWS is a solution developed for protection and disaster recovery tasks for Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (Amazon EC2) environments. As and when the business begins or continues its growth in the cloud, we must need a simple and cost-effective data protection strategy that grows with it. Veeam Backup for AWS delivers everything you need to natively protect Amazon EC2 instances automatically, including fast recovery options and built-in cost optimization.
Amazon Web Services (AWS)
Amazon Web Services (AWS) provides a robust cloud platform for you to create and deploy business applications without the financial burdens and time commitments of building and maintaining your own infrastructure. However, as referenced by the AWS Shared Responsibility Model, your applications and data remain your responsibility. So, you must have a backup solution to keep your data safe in the AWS cloud.
With Veeam Backup for AWS, you can create image-level backups of EC2 instances and keep them in Amazon Simple Storage Service (Amazon S3) for high availability, cost-effective and long-term storage. In addition to image-level backups, you can protect your data by creating and maintaining a chain of cloud-native snapshots of EC2 instances.
To recover backed-up data, in Veeam Backup for AWS, you can perform the following operations:
- Restore of entire EC2 instances
- Restore of EC2 instance volumes
- Restore of EC2 instance guest OS files and folders
AWS-native Backup is very Cost-effective and Secure Solution
An AWS-native standalone backup and recovery solution where I pay for the services that I use
- No Agents Required :- Automate native Amazon EBS snapshots for more frequent AWS backups and faster restores.
- Turnkey Deployment :- Simple yet powerful web-based management UI that’s ready for immediate use.
- Policy-based Automation :- Customize policies and retention to reliably protect all your Amazon EC2 instances.
- Fast and Flexible Recovery :- Restore operations quickly with volume, instance, and file-level restore options.
- Low Cloud TCO :- Built-in backup cost estimation delivers greater cost control and optimizes protection.
- Affordable Archive :- Copy Amazon EBS snapshots to cost-effective Amazon S3 repositories for long-term retention.
- Risk Reduction :- Increase security with the use of separate IAM roles, cross-region, and cross-account protection.
- Greater Security :- Keep data safe and secure with multi-factor authentication for administrator accounts.
Integration with Veeam Backup & Replication
Veeam Backup for AWS creates backup files in the native Veeam format. Therefore, you can use Veeam Backup & Replication to create a copy of EC2 instance backups in on-premises repositories and perform data migration between cloud, on-premises and virtual infrastructures.
Veeam Backup for AWS is licensed per protected EC2 instance. An EC2 instance is considered protected if it has a restore point (snapshot or backup) created in the past 31 days. Every protected EC2 instance consumes 1 license unit.
EC2 instances that are processed only by manually created snapshots are not considered as protected EC2 instances and do not consume license units.
Veeam Backup for AWS is available in 3 editions:
Veeam Backup for AWS Free Edition — a free version of the product that allows you to use up to 10 license units to protect EC2 instances.
Veeam Backup for AWS Paid Edition — a commercial version of the product that allows you to protect an unlimited number of EC2 instances.
In the Paid edition of the product, you are charged by AWS for EC2 instances that you actually protect. To track data protection operations on the backup server, Veeam Backup for AWS uses the AWS Marketplace Metering Service. Every hour, the backup server sends information on the current number of protected EC2 instances to AWS. The price for protected EC2 instances is included in the monthly AWS Cost and Usage report.
Veeam Backup for AWS BYOL Edition — a commercial version of the product that allows you to use a Veeam Universal License with a certain number of license units to protect EC2 instances.
NEW Veeam Backup for AWS delivers cost-effective and secure cloud-native backup and recovery of Amazon EC2 instances. Veeam always comes with new products and features to support customers to safeguard their data in cost-effective options. In this article, we have discussed on Veeam backup for AWS, we sill share another article in future how to setup Veeam Backup For AWS Free Edition