Veeam Backup for AWS is one of the data protection solution provided by AWS and the solution is deployed right from the AWS Marketplace and enables you with Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (Amazon EC2) backup using native AWS snapshots, backup to Amazon Simple Storage Service (Amazon S3) object storage, or perform backup copy jobs to any other Veeam-supported repository through Veeam Backup and Replication. Recovery options are equally flexible and very fast to minimize the risk of an outage, with full and file-level recovery options within AWS or to any other Veeam-supported platform.
Now you can protect your AWS workloads through Veeam Backup & Replication, AWS data protection is now built directly into the Veeam Backup & Replication console. This requires installing AWS Plug-in for Veeam Backup & Replication (separate download).
Before installing the plug-in, make sure you are using Veeam Backup & Replication 10a (build 10.0.1.4854) or later.
Note: AWS plug-in for Veeam Backup & Replication cannot be used with the Community Edition and Veeam Backup Starter.
To install the AWS plug-in for Veeam Backup & Replication, follow the steps below:
- Download the latest version of AWS plug-in for Veeam Backup & Replication
- Open the downloaded file and launch the .exe file on the backup server.
- If your Veeam BAckup Server version is not supported you will get a message like below, you have to install the updates and try again
AWS plugin have prerequisites if your server doesn’t contain that it will install and continue for plugin installation
- Accept the license agreement for Veeam and 3rd party components that Veeam incorporates.
- Specify the installation folder and Click Next
- Click Install to begin the installation.
- Monitor the Progress
once the installation completed click on finish
Once the installation is completed, you can add the Veeam Backup for AWS appliance to the Veeam Backup & Replication infrastructure to monitor and manage backup appliance activities from your backup server.
If you have already configured a Veeam Backup for AWS appliance, you can connect to an existing appliance. If you have not deployed a Veeam Backup for the AWS appliance beforehand, you can deploy a new appliance from the Veeam Backup & Replication console.
Connect to an existing appliance
- Open the Backup Infrastructure view and click Add Server on the ribbon.
- In the Add Server window, select Veeam Backup for AWS.
- At the Deployment Mode step of the wizard, select Connect to an existing appliance.
- At the Account step, specify an AWS account, select the AWS region and geographical location of a data center where the appliance is deployed.
At the EC2 instance step, select EC2 instance where Veeam Backup for AWS is deployed, You can seacrh the instance name from there.
- Click Next
- At the Connection Type step, specify whether the appliance is connected directly to the Internet or located in a private network.
- At the Credentials step of the wizard, specify a user account with administrative privileges on the appliance.
- At the Repositories step, configure S3 repositories.
- At the Apply and Finish steps, apply settings and review details of the backup appliance. Click Finish to exit the wizard.
Note:- if you have already configured the external repository which is configured with veeam Backup On AWS with VBR server it will skip as shown above image.
- navigate to Managed servers and you can find the AWS backup appliance we added to the VBR console.
- Navigate to Jobs and all the jobs configured with Veeam backup on AWS will list there and you can monitor and manage from there.
Regarding the new deployment of the AWS appliance will share another blog post soon.