In vSphere 6.0, you will notice considerably new terms, when installation vCenter Server 6.0. As similar to the previous versions of vCenter Deployment, You can install vCenter Server on a host machine running Microsoft Windows Server 2008 SP2 or later or you can deploy vCenter Server Appliance (VCSA). With vSphere 6.0, There are 2 different new vCenter Deployment Models.
- vCenter with an embedded Platform Services Controller
- vCenter with an external Platform Services Controller
One of the Considerable Change, you will notice with vCenter Server installation is deployment models and embedded database. Embedded database has been changed from SQL express edition to vFabric Postgres database. vFabric Postgres databaseembedded with vCenter installer is suitable for the environments with up to 20 hosts and 200 virtual machines and vCenter 6.0 continuous to support Microsoft and Oracle Database as external database. with vCenter Upgrades, where SQL express was installed will be converted to vPostgres. Let’s review the System requirements to install vCenter 6.0:
Supported Windows Operation System for vCenter 6.0 Installation:
- Microsoft Windows Server 2008 SP2 64-bit
- Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 64-bit
- Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 64-bit
- Microsoft Windows Server 2012 64-bit
- Microsoft Windows Server 2012 R2 64-bit
Supported Databases for vCenter 6.0 Installation:
- Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 SP1
- Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 SP2
- Microsoft SQL Server 2012
- Microsoft SQL Server 2012 SP1
- Microsoft SQL Server 2014
- Oracle 11g R2 220.127.116.11
- Oracle 12c
Components of vCenter Server 6.0:
There are two Major Components of vCenter 6.0:
- vCenter Server: vCenter Server product, that contains all of the products such as vCenter Server, vSphere Web Client,Inventory Service, vSphere Auto Deploy, vSphere ESXi Dump Collector, and vSphere Syslog Collector
- VMware Platform Services Controller: Platform Services Controller contains all of the services necessary for running the products, such as vCenter Single Sign-On, License Service and VMware Certificate Authority
vCenter 6.0 Deployment Models:
vSphere 6.0 introduces vCenter Server with two deployment model. vCenter with external Platform Services Controller and vCenter Server with an embedded Platform Services Controller.
vCenter with an embedded Platform Services Controller:
All services bundled with the Platform Services Controller are deployed on the same host machine as vCenter Server. vCenter Server with an embedded Platform Services Controller is suitable for smaller environments with eight or less product instances.
vCenter with an external Platform Services Controller:
The services bundled with the Platform Services Controller and vCenter Server are deployed on different host machines.You must deploy the VMware Platform Services Controller first on one virtual machine or host and then deploy vCenter Server on another virtual machine or host. The Platform Services Controller can be shared across many products. This configuration is suitable for larger environments with nine or more product instances.